Ugrás a fő tartalomra

Stray can



My mother always insisted that our family was cursed, as if we were born in a Márquez story. My great-grandfather arrived to Ohio in the '30ies with a group of Hungarians, or as they were called, with the 'Hunkies'. He became an industrial worker in a factory then he started a family and he no longer wanted to go home. Here, he could aspire to somewhat more than in Europe. They were poor in the US too, but not pauper. He could never purchase a house, he moved from rented apartments to rented apartments until he died. My grandfather did not want to live like this, without any stable points in life, he wanted to find his absolute zero point to which he could return no matter what happened. Finally, this wish manifested in the form of a trailer, so what he longed for came true in part. My mother was born here, they have been straying around with the moving sardine can – as she called it – until she became 17 years old and they managed to save enough money to buy a house. Things were getting better. They did not have to move to the warmer states each winter and look for casual jobs in the south during harvest time in summer. Then the famous family curse raised its head again. My mother got married and after I was born, my father found a new occupation instead of work. He started to marinate his liver with the light wine he made in the shed, he was a real redneck. The whole family preferred to let him go so that he no longer block my mother's life. We were broke but at least we lived in peace. 

When my grandfather died I inherited the can which had been standing in the backyard for decades. It was perfectly maintained, maybe it was still his true home. Few times a year, he packed his stuff and went to fish, sometimes we did not seen him for weeks. In summer holiday, I joined him too. For me it was a shelter, not a can. I lived in it during university so we did not have to spend on my accommodation. After I graduated as a photographer, I started to travel the country and it became my moving photo lab. I joined the Travellers in Colorado and documented their lives. This temporary project became long term as I married into the community. When we visit my mother from time to time, she always asks what I like about this life, where I only know what a flush toilet is by hearsay. We both laugh at it. Today she agrees that the curse does not exist, it is nothing more than dumb decisions that influenced the history of our family.

The blog entry was written by the students of Kepes György Special College at the Roma Heroes workshop of Independent Theatre.

Megjegyzések

Népszerű bejegyzések ezen a blogon

We Are Unstoppable

What does family, parents and siblings mean to us? What do we do for our family members and what does the family do for us? How can we help each other in life? My story is about my younger brother, I consider him a hero in my life. Gábor is a simple man with a huge heart who is very honest and enduring. His endurance in work makes him a real hero. He works 16 hours five days a week as a cook; he gets up every morning and goes to work because that’s his job. He was 18 when he got a great opportunity to work abroad as a chef, naturally making much more money than here, at home. Had he accepted it, his life would have changed radically, but he didn’t want to leave me and our mom alone. It is just the three of us and we would never leave each other. He has superhuman strength. He moved in with Mom who had to be cared for because of her health, but we never felt that is a burden; we are one and everyone does their bit without complaint – Gábor works, Mom takes care of the household, I s

Make it happen!

What are the values that we learned at home? Why is it important in our adult life? How was Independent Theater Hungary founded? What were the initial goals? Rodrigó Balogh, artistic director of Independent Theater Hungary tells about his career as an actor and director as well as about founding his own theatre.

Loving strictness

  What’s the first thing that comes to our mind when we talk about heroes? Why do we consider someone a hero? Discipline wouldn’t come to most people’s mind first. This story shows, though, how expectations full of love and intentional parenting make heroes out of our parents. To introduce my heroes, I must go back to my childhood…and I am lucky enough to think of my mum and dad as heroes. I was not a good kid at all. I did a lot of mischief, and I was also lazy and self-righteous. Music was always important in my family. My dad is still the organist in our local church. My parents soon noticed my musical talent when I was a child, and they wanted me to improve it. Beside music, improving my school records became my other priority. My parents divided the tasks between them: my dad would assist my musical studies, and my mum would help me better my grades. I found maths extremely difficult, and my mum sacrificed her whole summer to tutor me. Each day she worked with endless patien