Ugrás a fő tartalomra

Nothing is as important as being happy!



"During your life, try to find what you are good at and once you found it do not let it go. Find what fulfils your potential and what makes you happy."

I can only recall my childhood from the last year of kindergarten on.  I used to ask where my mother was and why I was there. Only later did I learn that I was born in the sixth month of the pregnancy and my parents thought that I will not survive so they left me at the hospital. Presumably that was the reason, but this is just an assumption, I don't know the truth even today, no one has ever told me.

I grew up in a little village in 40 kilometre distance from Debrecen, in Nyírmártonfalva, in a residential foster home in the Reviczky Castle. I finished the first two years of primary school there, then we went to Debrecen. The foster home was in 4 km distance from the village and even there we rarely went so studying in a big city was a huge difference. Settling in in the new school was very difficult as the older students used to bully the younger ones.  At the beginning, one student told me, if I ever got a packet from home, he would surely take that away from me; I replied I would never get any packet, I had no family and he suddenly left me alone.

At fourth grade I failed and why? Simply because I didn't feel like studying. I was not interested in studying, I found it boring. I was ashamed because I didn't get the red tie, I had to stick to the blue one. That is what hurt the most. Today, I am very grateful for the teachers who made me fail because fourth grade was so much easier after, I felt much more clever. My surrounding also respected my knowledge which was a great source of self-esteem for me, because I was a shy and quiet child. This was the turning point, it felt great when I was asked something and I knew the answer.

During high school, I studied at Rajkó Band. I returned to the foster home and went to the band from there. As I have mentioned before, the farm was in 4 km distance from the village from where the bus started to Debrecen. I always had to catch the first bus in the morning, even in wintertime, walking the way despite the snow and frost through the forest. Some of my peers used to say how proud they are of me but I always replied you could also learn and become whatever you want. I do not distinguish between people, all that matters to me is what one knows and what talent one has. In the band, I was the kid who everyone felt pity for, but I never wanted to care about that. I finished high school in Debrecen. I am very grateful to my tutors and teachers because they always said that I could break out with studying and I listened to them. Studying has always been very important for me, I thought of studying as my job.

I have been working in a theatre since the age of 17. My first experiences were with puppet theatre. When I was a child a puppet theatre used to come and perform at the foster home. And life led me back to them. I started to work as an actor at the puppet theatre and we often went back to the foster home. I got some roles in Debrecen, too, and later on I got admitted to the University of Theatre Arts. I had been working in theatres for long years, but at some point I lost my spirit and the magic of theatre disappeared. Gypsy topic was often came up and of course you can laugh at one joke or two, but after twenty you get fed up. They could not handle me being Gypsy.

When I felt that this is too much, I went to America and started to learn English. At the time, I didn't speak English at all. But I thought I had nothing to lose so let's go to the US.  This was an excellent challenge, I thought. What did I get from America? I think in Hungary people do not believe in themselves as much as they should. I believed that "you can do it" and I came home with a diploma. At the same time, I missed music.

Singing, for me, is something very personal, a part of the soul, the personality.  For me, music is a connection with higher powers.  When I sing, I am not here, reality ceases to exist and I live in the moment. I can live and breathe without music but I miss it, I reach my fullest potential with music. I realized at the age of 9 that I have a good singing voice and I decided to live on singing. And whereas I did many things to change the plan, I wanted to become a doctor, started acting, finally, I got back to music.

The post was written by Vivien Balogh based on her discussion with Janó Balogh.

Megjegyzések

Népszerű bejegyzések ezen a blogon

We Are Unstoppable

What does family, parents and siblings mean to us? What do we do for our family members and what does the family do for us? How can we help each other in life? My story is about my younger brother, I consider him a hero in my life. Gábor is a simple man with a huge heart who is very honest and enduring. His endurance in work makes him a real hero. He works 16 hours five days a week as a cook; he gets up every morning and goes to work because that’s his job. He was 18 when he got a great opportunity to work abroad as a chef, naturally making much more money than here, at home. Had he accepted it, his life would have changed radically, but he didn’t want to leave me and our mom alone. It is just the three of us and we would never leave each other. He has superhuman strength. He moved in with Mom who had to be cared for because of her health, but we never felt that is a burden; we are one and everyone does their bit without complaint – Gábor works, Mom takes care of the household, I s

The Perfect Grandma

We all need role models, heroes in our life whose acts and qualities serve as examples. Sometimes it takes time to realize that real heroes are all around us. Find your own hero! Oh, my darling granny. She loved us, her family, she did whatever she could for us. She was a vibrant ball of energy. She rushed from one grandchild to the other whole day long. She helped with household chores, made jam, cooked our favorite granny-cakes like no one else. She often told us about our badass grandpa and she kept loving, loving and loving. Words cannot express what she means to me even today. No doubt she had a huge impact both on my mother and me. We got the love and solidarity of the family from her. She lived her life with sacrifices and an everlasting smile on her face, she lived for us and for our happiness. We learned only after her death that besides everyday care, she had a secret that she never told anyone. A stray paper found after her death revealed this secret. My grandm

Make it happen!

What are the values that we learned at home? Why is it important in our adult life? How was Independent Theater Hungary founded? What were the initial goals? Rodrigó Balogh, artistic director of Independent Theater Hungary tells about his career as an actor and director as well as about founding his own theatre.