Ugrás a fő tartalomra

I would like to return what I got from life!


Photo by Krisztián Maráczi 

If we turn to other people as to equal partners, they become capable of much more than they would think.

I grew up with seven brothers and sisters. We were never alone, we could always count on each other, we were real tricksters, we were never bored, neither we nor our parents. My childhood was not easy, we had everything but we had to face many difficulties. I would not trade it for anything.

I owe a lot to my teachers, there was always someone who held my hand, motivated and supported me. My original profession is house painter, I am one of the best painters, thanks to my teacher of the time, who always inspired me to be twice as good as my peers. For a long time, I could only wash the tools in practice lessons, I did not have the opportunity to show that I can do far more than that. Things changed when me and some of my classmates got a task which we accomplished making our best efforts and our teacher noticed our talent. At the end of my studies, in 2004, I was got  the best student painter of the year award. 

All this has an enormous impact on my life even today and I always do my best and help whenever I can. I would like to return what I got from life and from people in my surrounding. I wish if the only thing that matters were what you have achieved and not your origin. I am a human being and my talent should not be measured against my Gypsy origin. That is why I continued studying later, to be able to live as a happy and proud Gypsy man, to be somebody in life. Since that time, I have been working in the media as a reporter.

Last year, me and some dear friends started an initiative in Pesterzsébet which focuses on the individual development and talent nurturing of Roma and non-Roma children, after school. The program is called Kaposvári József Studio, named after a famous shoemaker who made shoes for stars as well as poor children in need. I got to know József, who unfortunately has since passed away, due to my work. We wanted to follow his worldview: all were equal in his eyes.

We meet the children and their parents twice a week. Our goal is to help the children to set goals for themselves. And to reach these goals, to become interested, open-minded people. Today, it is not only a program but also a close-knit community, this is the power of our initiative. When we first met, they hardly dared to speak a word, today they are much more open. A mother of six who had never worked before started attending nurse training. When a girl failed in school, we helped her prepare for the retake exam. At the exam, the teacher told her if there is one topic that she can talk about she would pass, but the girl proudly replied that she was familiar with all topics as there was a teacher who helped her learn them and she can respond any questions. Of course she passed the exam successfully. 

What did I get from the children? Friendship and acceptance.

The post was written by Vivien Balogh based on her discussion with Róbert Papp.

Megjegyzések

Népszerű bejegyzések ezen a blogon

We Are Unstoppable

What does family, parents and siblings mean to us? What do we do for our family members and what does the family do for us? How can we help each other in life? My story is about my younger brother, I consider him a hero in my life. Gábor is a simple man with a huge heart who is very honest and enduring. His endurance in work makes him a real hero. He works 16 hours five days a week as a cook; he gets up every morning and goes to work because that’s his job. He was 18 when he got a great opportunity to work abroad as a chef, naturally making much more money than here, at home. Had he accepted it, his life would have changed radically, but he didn’t want to leave me and our mom alone. It is just the three of us and we would never leave each other. He has superhuman strength. He moved in with Mom who had to be cared for because of her health, but we never felt that is a burden; we are one and everyone does their bit without complaint – Gábor works, Mom takes care of the household, I s

The Perfect Grandma

We all need role models, heroes in our life whose acts and qualities serve as examples. Sometimes it takes time to realize that real heroes are all around us. Find your own hero! Oh, my darling granny. She loved us, her family, she did whatever she could for us. She was a vibrant ball of energy. She rushed from one grandchild to the other whole day long. She helped with household chores, made jam, cooked our favorite granny-cakes like no one else. She often told us about our badass grandpa and she kept loving, loving and loving. Words cannot express what she means to me even today. No doubt she had a huge impact both on my mother and me. We got the love and solidarity of the family from her. She lived her life with sacrifices and an everlasting smile on her face, she lived for us and for our happiness. We learned only after her death that besides everyday care, she had a secret that she never told anyone. A stray paper found after her death revealed this secret. My grandm

Make it happen!

What are the values that we learned at home? Why is it important in our adult life? How was Independent Theater Hungary founded? What were the initial goals? Rodrigó Balogh, artistic director of Independent Theater Hungary tells about his career as an actor and director as well as about founding his own theatre.