Ugrás a fő tartalomra

Four Slices of Cake


What do mothers mean to us? What do we learn from them and what is our favourite memory with our mother? They are the strongest, most persistent people who never give up, who we can always count on. The next story presents a mother, a hero who lives for her children.

When I was a child, we rarely got any sweets. However, when mom went to the shop, we always looked forward to her return with great expectations. What will she bring us today? Lollypop? Melon-flavoured chewing gum? Or jellybeans?

I remember, one day she drew a deep breath as she left to the shop. All we had was 500 HUF and she wanted to buy bread. I didn’t know how much 500 HUF was worth back in those days, but it must have been similar as it is today: not very much. When mom got home, she put down the bread on the table. She took out two lollipops from her pocket and gave them to us smilingly, then went to the kitchen to cook some potatoes.

I remember, I was 6 years old when I first got a cake. It was a chocolate cake. We bought 4 slices, that was all we could afford. The five of us sat at the table and there was only four slices.

“I’m not hungry”, my mother said.

She lived for us, she always fought and struggled to make things better for us, so that we don’t feel what want is like. And even though in my childhood our family lacked many things I never felt it.

Mom always found a way, even when my father was enraged. She found a way when dad sold everything we had at home. She found a way when dad, drunk, left her with the children, pregnant with the third (me). She found a way when my older sister died, she never gave up fighting for us, even though she also died that day. She stayed here for us, for my older and my younger brother.

I feel so selfish! I never thanked her for all this. Mom, thank you, thank you for BEING MY HERO! You taught me about unconditional love, you taught me about devotion, you taught me to never give up.

Szandra Kovács


Megjegyzések

Népszerű bejegyzések ezen a blogon

We Are Unstoppable

What does family, parents and siblings mean to us? What do we do for our family members and what does the family do for us? How can we help each other in life? My story is about my younger brother, I consider him a hero in my life. Gábor is a simple man with a huge heart who is very honest and enduring. His endurance in work makes him a real hero. He works 16 hours five days a week as a cook; he gets up every morning and goes to work because that’s his job. He was 18 when he got a great opportunity to work abroad as a chef, naturally making much more money than here, at home. Had he accepted it, his life would have changed radically, but he didn’t want to leave me and our mom alone. It is just the three of us and we would never leave each other. He has superhuman strength. He moved in with Mom who had to be cared for because of her health, but we never felt that is a burden; we are one and everyone does their bit without complaint – Gábor works, Mom takes care of the household, I s

The Perfect Grandma

We all need role models, heroes in our life whose acts and qualities serve as examples. Sometimes it takes time to realize that real heroes are all around us. Find your own hero! Oh, my darling granny. She loved us, her family, she did whatever she could for us. She was a vibrant ball of energy. She rushed from one grandchild to the other whole day long. She helped with household chores, made jam, cooked our favorite granny-cakes like no one else. She often told us about our badass grandpa and she kept loving, loving and loving. Words cannot express what she means to me even today. No doubt she had a huge impact both on my mother and me. We got the love and solidarity of the family from her. She lived her life with sacrifices and an everlasting smile on her face, she lived for us and for our happiness. We learned only after her death that besides everyday care, she had a secret that she never told anyone. A stray paper found after her death revealed this secret. My grandm

Make it happen!

What are the values that we learned at home? Why is it important in our adult life? How was Independent Theater Hungary founded? What were the initial goals? Rodrigó Balogh, artistic director of Independent Theater Hungary tells about his career as an actor and director as well as about founding his own theatre.