Ugrás a fő tartalomra

Who Can I Always Count On?



What do your parents mean to you? Who can you really count on? What would you like to thank them for and how? We have to face several difficulties throughout our life, but there are always people around us who we can count on no matter what happens.

I have always believed that it is worth taking advice from people who had been in a similar situation. I consider myself lucky because I had a wonderful childhood with parents who did everything they could for me and my brothers. We were dearly loved while growing up, we had a beautiful life and I will be grateful to them forever. I love my friends – usually I am the odd one out, the only Gypsy girl in every circle of friends but that has never been much of a subject.  

My parent's opinion and advice has always been important to me. I wanted them to be proud of me, that is why I decided to graduate from high school, learn a trade and – to my father's delight – obtain a driving license. I have taken their advice, I knew that they wanted what is best for me, they wanted to secure my future.

Today, I have it all, but it was not easy to get here. My father got ill and was hospitalized. When we first visited him in the hospital, I saw something in his eyes that I had never seen before: terror and despair. What will happen to the family? My father meant safety and peace for all of us, if he gets weak the whole family would collapse. He needed serious medical interventions and we prayed a lot for him. God helped him and the treatment was successful, he could finally come home. However, something had changed. Before, he was constantly working on something in the flat. When he got home, he did not move around his tools all day long, he did not work on his car, he just sat there and encouraged us that it was gonna be okay. That was how the first month went by. The next examination found that he cannot do any physical work, he cannot go back to work. What medicine can cure helplessness?

He was the breadwinner of the family, the only one who had a steady income and now, all of a sudden, he could not go to work. On that very day, I decided that I would do for the family whatever I could, I would help as soon as I finished my studies. Nothing was impossible. Despite medical advice, my father went back to work to provide for us. I am very proud of him. Things got back the way they were. Since then, I always keep in mind that there is a solution to every problem, you should never give up. Today, my two brothers work, too, they do their share. My father is a real role model and it feels amazing to have parents like my parents! I wish I were just half as good as they are! 

The blog entry was written by Szimonetta Horváth at Independent Theatre Hungary's Roma Heroes workshop.


Megjegyzések

Népszerű bejegyzések ezen a blogon

We Are Unstoppable

What does family, parents and siblings mean to us? What do we do for our family members and what does the family do for us? How can we help each other in life? My story is about my younger brother, I consider him a hero in my life. Gábor is a simple man with a huge heart who is very honest and enduring. His endurance in work makes him a real hero. He works 16 hours five days a week as a cook; he gets up every morning and goes to work because that’s his job. He was 18 when he got a great opportunity to work abroad as a chef, naturally making much more money than here, at home. Had he accepted it, his life would have changed radically, but he didn’t want to leave me and our mom alone. It is just the three of us and we would never leave each other. He has superhuman strength. He moved in with Mom who had to be cared for because of her health, but we never felt that is a burden; we are one and everyone does their bit without complaint – Gábor works, Mom takes care of the household, I s

Make it happen!

What are the values that we learned at home? Why is it important in our adult life? How was Independent Theater Hungary founded? What were the initial goals? Rodrigó Balogh, artistic director of Independent Theater Hungary tells about his career as an actor and director as well as about founding his own theatre.

Loving strictness

  What’s the first thing that comes to our mind when we talk about heroes? Why do we consider someone a hero? Discipline wouldn’t come to most people’s mind first. This story shows, though, how expectations full of love and intentional parenting make heroes out of our parents. To introduce my heroes, I must go back to my childhood…and I am lucky enough to think of my mum and dad as heroes. I was not a good kid at all. I did a lot of mischief, and I was also lazy and self-righteous. Music was always important in my family. My dad is still the organist in our local church. My parents soon noticed my musical talent when I was a child, and they wanted me to improve it. Beside music, improving my school records became my other priority. My parents divided the tasks between them: my dad would assist my musical studies, and my mum would help me better my grades. I found maths extremely difficult, and my mum sacrificed her whole summer to tutor me. Each day she worked with endless patien