Ugrás a fő tartalomra

Who lived for the violin



My father was born in 1923 in Vép, a small town near Szombathely. Back at the time, the count used to give dinner to the children of the poor every Sunday. One Sunday, when my father also went for the dinner – he was about the age of four – the count offered him a violin. He shortly learnt to play the violin and he started making music in the neighbourhood. He got food in exchange for the music and he brought it home to his family.

The story goes that after primary school he got a job right away, he worked as a miner and as a shoemaker, but music had always had an outstanding role in his life. Later on, he bought a new violin and a suit of clothes from his salary and so he went to play music. He had already had a family when he bought a clarinet and signed in to music school once again. As a Gypsy violinist, he played in restaurants and abroad, and he played in the Budapest Gypsy Orchestra. At the age of 76, he even got to Japan. All he lived for was the violin.

We learnt to love music from him. One of my favourite story about him dates back to my childhood. At that time the so called “Pacsirta” radio was to be found in most households. I still remember the big, white buttons of the radio on which I used to play the piano until the radio broke down. I got very much upset for, on the one hand, I couldn’t play the piano any more and on the other hand, I was afraid of getting scolded. What happened after? Daddy left home in a rush and soon got back with a piano. I got my first piano from him at the age of six and I still have it today, I could never throw it away.

My father was a wonderful man and he always played from his heart.

Written by Vivien Balogh based on a discussion with Mária Rigó

Megjegyzések

Népszerű bejegyzések ezen a blogon

She, who chose school instead of marriage

What can a young girl growing up in a Romanian Zlatar community do, if she does not want to marry at the age of 13? What if she wants to continue her studies, against the will of her family? Roxana comes up with various unusual ideas to achieve her goal. I n her play  Del Duma – She Speaks,  Mihaela Dragan presents the complex topic of early marriage that determines the life of several Roma women in Romania even today. The artistic director of Giulipen theatre does not want to judge, she merely passes on the stories of women who have different views on early marriage. Interview with Mihaela Dragan  >>>

Letter to Brad Pitt

Franciska Farkas makes a heartbreakingly honest confession about the difficulties of her childhood and youth. She got to be a role model for others despite all the dead ends, despair and social prophecies. She became an active performer who has a lot to tell about darkness, endurance and the importance of never giving up our dreams.

The Perfect Grandma

We all need role models, heroes in our life whose acts and qualities serve as examples. Sometimes it takes time to realize that real heroes are all around us. Find your own hero! Oh, my darling granny. She loved us, her family, she did whatever she could for us. She was a vibrant ball of energy. She rushed from one grandchild to the other whole day long. She helped with household chores, made jam, cooked our favorite granny-cakes like no one else. She often told us about our badass grandpa and she kept loving, loving and loving. Words cannot express what she means to me even today. No doubt she had a huge impact both on my mother and me. We got the love and solidarity of the family from her. She lived her life with sacrifices and an everlasting smile on her face, she lived for us and for our happiness. We learned only after her death that besides everyday care, she had a secret that she never told anyone. A stray paper found after her death revealed this secret. My grandm